Monday, April 29, 2013

Dahl Or Lentil Soup.


Lentil soup as it is popularly known here.. Arabs love it. My neighbor whose an Arab loves it, she learn't the recipe from me and makes it often..  Like many of you, I currently don't live where I spent my childhood. Dubai is what I currently call home. My family and friends are all back home..
But still I have managed to make unbreakable bonds and loving relationships in just 3 years...

Dahl or Lentil Soup, Daal, Health food,Simple cooking, Arabic cousine, Arabs love it, Comfort food, India
This is where I have made my home, my family. We moved to this apartment when three years ago when it was just a shell. With time, we have filled it up with furniture, love, memories and a growing family. And wonderful aromas of baking, play kitchen and a little bundle of joy cooing and crawling along....

Learning and sharing new and old treasured recipes is what i like the most... collecting and sharing.


Arabs love this dish very much... it actually originates from India.. Its a famous indian everyday comfort
food... most popularly known as Daal.. which is severd with rice or naan.. whatever an individual preference is..
I love daal too.. this is my version of it;

Dahl or Lentil Soup.

Ingredients:
1 cup yellow lentils (Moong/ Masoor Daal)
2 tbs butter
1 onion, sliced
1 tomato, grated
1 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp chili flakes (optional)
3-4 cups chicken stock (optional) use water instead
juice of 1 lemon
salt and pepper to taste
coriander or parsley to garnish

For Garnish Infusion:
2 to 3 cloves garlic crushed
1/2 tsp cumin,
1/2 tsp mustard seeds...


Directions:

 Rinse lentils soak for 15 min. prior to cooking in water . Add onions, tomatoes, cumin powder, chilli flakes, stock or water, salt. Pressure cook for 15 min. or you can cook it in the pot for around half an
hour.. I prefer the pressure cooker it makes the job easier... Once done nicely and lentils are cooked whisk for a smooth consistency or run a blender..

In a seperate small pan add butter, add mustard seeds let crackle, then add cumin seed, add crushed garlic let turn golden and then add this infusion to the daal.. Mix everything well give one boil.. Garnish with coriander or parsley and serve with lemon.

Enjoy.

Shaya.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks For Stopping by.... would love to hear from u :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...